Monday, October 4, 2010
Zucchini Apple Pie
....So BRACE yourself cause your gonna be like "No WAY..and then I'm gonna be like "Way"!!!!This is such a FUN, sneaky way to get your kids (and Hubie) to eat their veggies... to be HONEST I read about this and thought "NO WAY"...This recipe had NO apples in it, I didn't think their was ANY way that someone could make Zucchini's TASTE like APPLE PIE....but my husband DID NOT KNOW the difference, and if I hadn't made the pie...I probably wouldn't have either. Give er' a try , this pie was REALLY good and I will plan on making it again REALLY soon!
* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
* 2 large zucchini
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 pinch salt
* 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 pinch ground nutmeg
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Peel the zucchini. Cut into quarters lengthwise, then remove seeds and cut crosswise (as you would cut apples for apple pie). Toss together 4 cups chopped zucchini, lemon juice and salt. Place mixture into frying pan and cook until tender-crisp.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, cream of tartar, nutmeg and flour. Add the cooked zucchini to sugar mixture and mix well. It will be a little runny, but that's OK.
3. Place filling into a 9 inch pie crust, dot with butter, and place top crust on. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 40 minutes or until golden brown.