Sunday, November 7, 2010
Cream Puffs or Eclairs
I remember being a little girl, and my Mom making these for catering jobs, for Weddings, Baptisms, baby showers. I remember the Nirvana of licking the beaters.
These are VERY easy to make, the only hard part so not opening the oven to check on them too soon, or your puffs WILL fall! Make sure they are a little brown and crispy on the tops. Before you put in a new batch, make sure the oven reheats up to 425.
Ingredients for Puffs.
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 cup water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 4 eggs
Custard Filling (and filling and topping)
* 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
* 3 cups heavy cream (Instead of milk, but still follow directions on box)
3 cups whipping cream,blend with sugar and added vanilla till peaks form.
One can Chocolate Frosting, and slivered almonds.
1. Mix together vanilla Cook and Serve pudding mix, cream. Cook as directed. Cover and refrigerate to set.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
3. In a large pot, bring water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a large mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon or stand mixer, beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Centers should be dry.
5. When the shells are cool,cut the tops off with sharp knife, pull out spongy middle of puff and set aside,use a pastry bag to pipe the pudding into the shells.
1/3 way full. Spoon in fluffy whip cream. Spread chocolate frosting on puff top, sprinkle top with almonds, and put top on puff.
Keep chilled in fridge until serving.
Unfilled puffs, freeze really well.