Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sourdough Pancakes ~ the BEST pancakes you will ever EAT/MAKE





Oh honey you think I am kidding...because I am sooo NOT kidding!
These honeys are fluffy and have incredible texture, and are beautiful...ad just as nummy with Strawberries and cream, as syrup and butter, even naked they are just Fab.
I can brag cause my dear friend Airica gave me this recipe and I will forever be in her debt! I miss you woman!

Have you ever worked with a sourdough starter? If ya live close come bug me and I'll give you some of mine and teach you how to "feed it"...
If not I am going to teach right now how to grow your own "pet" of sour dough start...it really isn't hard, jus' a lil' time consuming waiting for your pet to be ready.
I have made a lot of starts, alas I have killed many a starts...this one has proved to me to be the BEST fool proof one,and yes I know starting a sour dough start with yeast is kinda cheating...but I'll get over it.

To grow a "pet" of sourdough starter: ( thanks to my old school circa 1979 Betty Crocker cook-book)

1 teaspoon of active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
3/4 cup milk (I used whole)
1 cup all-purpose flour


Dissolve yeast in warm water in 3-quart glass bowl. Stir in milk. Stir in Flour gradually Beat until smooth. ( DON'T use stainless steal bowls or whisks for your sourdough..your pet will not grow in stainless steal) I use an old crockery bowel and a wooden spoon).
Cover with towel or cheese cloth; let satnd in warm, draft free place (on top of a refrigerator is good) until starter begins to ferment, about 24 hours (bubbles will appear on surface of starter). If starter has not begun to ferment after 24 hours through it out and start over again (I have never had trouble with this. If fermentation has begun, stir well and cover tightly with plastic wrap and again store in warm draft free place. Let stand 2-3 days until foamy.

When starter has become foamy , stir well pour into 1 -quart crock or Tupperware
with sealing lid. Store in fridge. Starter is ready to use when a clear liquid has risen to the top ( yes your starter will smell sour) Stir before using.

Use 1 cup of starter in recipe, reserve the remaining starter (cause you are going to feed your pet and make him big again). Add equal parts 1 cup milk milk and 1 cup flour mixed in well to your remaining starter. Store covered , but not air tight in your container in draft free warm place, over night or about 12 hours and then return him to your fridge.

Use and feed your pet, once a week or ten days...or just dump the cup a starter and feed him. He gets better and better with age.


OK...onto Nirvana...(aka the pancakes) you START this recipe THE NIGHT BEFORE you want to cook em....It takes little time and BOY is it WORTH it!
The night before in a glass bowel combine:

2c flour
1/3 c sugar
1/3-1/2 c powder milk
2c warm water
1 c starter


Cover with towel and leave on counter overnight.
*(feed your remaining Starter)*



In the morning sprinkle over dough:
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
Mix 2 eggs and add w/ 1/4 C oil (2/3 for waffles)
Fold into mix.
Once mixed in well (not too much)
Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Make pancakes.

* Lil note...I always freak out a lil while I am mixing the batter...it looks like it lost it's fluff... keep on mixing and give the baking soda to work it's magic!
While making pancakes, pour , or use a measuring cup, I love my 1/3 cup for this...DON'T re-stir your batter...

ENJOY! These are defiantly a family Favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment